WHAT IS WILD BETTA

WHAT IS WILD BETTA?

Thai word for wild bettas There are over 70 species of fish that fall under the genus of ‘Betta’. These 70 odd species are then organised into groups usually called ‘complexes’, which consist of closely related species.

Betta splendens is a member of the ‘Splendens’ complex, along with five other species. One of the main threats facing Betta splendens in the wild, is hybridisation with the released/escaped ornamental or fighting strains of Betta splendens.

The ornamental form of Betta splendens that the majority of us on this forum keep, is a purely man-made strain. To me, the term ‘wild betta’ simply means a fish where there’s been no selective breeding undertaken to alter appearance or behaviour. This is why you can have a captive bred ‘wild betta’. It has nothing to do with whether or not the fish is actually wild-caught.

You can still find Betta fish in the wild, it’s just that pure specimens are considerably rarer.

Wild betta fish

Channoides

There’s always the debate over ethics when it comes to wild-caught fish. Sadly many species of wild betta are teetering on the brink due to habitat destruction. Their only future is in the hobby, and so it’s important that these fish find their way into hobbyists’ tanks. All of my foundation breeding stock is wild-caught, except for my Betta persephone as the particular locality I have is now extinct in the wild as I think a highway got built over/through their habitat.

Rare betta fish

Wild-caught bettas usually integrate well into life in captivity. In fact if you walked into my fish room, you would not be able to tell the difference between the wild-caught individuals and the captive bred individuals as they are equally ‘friendly’ and curious. The male in my display photo is a wild-caught fish, and I can assure you, he would not look like this if his needs weren’t being met.

Problems with wild betta is that they are picky eaters and their colours are not as vibrant as household betta fishes. However there are some people that like wild bettas. Below is a very informative channel on wild bettas and how wild betta are put to battle.

Also we have group talk about betta fish for sale and share any new tip take care information on Web3.0 social group

Betta fish

Right now we have betta fish doctor help every bettas lover by top breeder in Thailand to cure or share more tip on Animalverse social
If your bettas fish sick or need tip to treat help Let’s join the group many top breeder will help to answers  betta fish community

More tip :

Betta splendens complex of Thailand

You know hybrid or Alien Betta?

All of Betta Fish A Guide on Patterns, Color in the world

The most expensive betta fish in the world.

Various organs of betta fish

Betta fish community
Shopping Cart
Select your currency
Compare Products
No products were added to compare list
Return to Shop
Betta fish Classic Nemo Star OHM
Betta fish Classic Nemo Star OHM
0 customer review
$35.00
Betta fish Hell Boy Avatar Warrior OHM